Dogsafe Canine First Aid 101
UPCOMING CLASS DATES: January 27, 2018
This course is designed to teach you the knowledge and skills to deal with a sick or injured dog until veterinary care is available. What you do between when an injury happens and when veterinary care is available will greatly affect a dog’s chances of a full recovery. The topics are covered in-depth so that students have a thorough understanding of the principles of canine first aid. Since this is a very comprehensive course, we need your full attention and dogs do not come to class.
Continuing Education Credits Approved by: CCPDT (7), IACP, (7) and IAABC.
DOGSAFE® Course Manual Included:
- DOGSAFE: Everything Your Dog Wants You to Know in an Emergency, by DOGSAFE® creator, Michelle Sevigny is included FREE with DOGSAFE® Part 1 course registration ($18.95 retail value). The 118 page comprehensive manual includes 56 real-life photographs and is spiral bound for durability. The course training and reference manual is reviewed by veterinarians, including Dr. James Lawson, Chief Animal Health Officer of the BC SPCA.
- PLUS, the course manual includes:
- Vital Signs Checklist for keeping track of your dog’s essential information,
- Disaster Preparedness Checklist,
- Essential Phone Numbers list for easy access in emergencies
- K9 Incident Report Form to ensure accurate info during veterinary follow-ups.
The DOGSAFE® training and reference manual contains even more topics that are not covered in the course – a priceless manual for future reference.
Hours: 8 hours – 9:00am to 5:00pm
Maximum: 8 students
Minimum Age: 14 yrs/10 yrs if parent also enrolled
Registration fee: $150.00 (including tax)
Location: Urban Puppy Dog Shop & Daycare Centre
1375 W 6th Avenue @ Hemlock Street, Vancouver
- prevent common injuries
- conduct a head to tail assessment
- tell if your dog is experiencing pain
- recognize 4 common signs of illness or injury
- respond to any emergency in 4 easy steps
- safely approach an injured dog
- to take your dog’s vital signs and 3 other health tests
- perform cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR)
- perform artificial respiration
- remove an airway obstruction (choking)
- prevent and treat for shock
- deal with penetrating objects
- prevent and treat eye injuries
- prevent and treat abdominal wounds
- recognize risk factors and respond to bloat
- prevent and respond to drowning
- assess and respond to bone and joint injuries
- prevent and respond to poisonings
- prevent and respond to frostbite and hypothermia
- prevent and respond to heatstroke
- treat minor burns
- treat various wounds
Dogsafe courses are designed to make complex topics easy and everyone will learn through seeing, listening and doing which improves knowledge retention. Its effective and fun! You will also get hands-on practice and experience with life size Canine CPR Manikins. The canine CPR manikins are vital educational tools that are considerably more life-like than using stuffed toys. These manikins have working pulse and lungs enabling you to actually perform canine CPR, a technique that is not possible to conduct on live dogs. The DOGSAFE course goes beyond just watching an instructor demonstrate CPR and provides opportunities for hands-on practice.
Other learning tools include:
- plush demonstration dogs
- first aid kits
- even fake guts and eyeballs